Social rides are a great way to meet local riders in a relaxed environment, explore what our region has to offer, and to make new friends.
Rockhampton Social Rides
From time to time, I'll tag along with groups in other towns on their social adventures but around Rockhampton, I generally hold social rides when time avails, particularly where there's a special ride that other social groups aren't offering.
Social rides are usually held around Rockhampton, Mount Morgan, Lake Mary, and Cawarral, with a mix of road and gravel. I like to stay off the bitumen. Distances vary from 25 km to 100+ km rides.
Social Rides - what you need
If you attend a Cycle CQ social ride:
- You accept all responsibility for your actions and preparations;
- You absolve Cycle CQ of all liability. You ride at your own risk;
- AusCycling membership is recommended for insurance. Free trial memberships available;
- Your bike must be in mechanically good order and suitable for the ride;
- You must wear a helmet and closed shoes;
- Riders must be at least 16 years of age;
- Bring ample water, emergency spares including a tube and basic tools. Don't rely on other people to babysit you.
- If you are concerned that a section is too technical for you, get off your bike and walk it. Do not ride beyond your ability. Your personal safety is entirely up to you.
Social Rides - night extras
- If riding at night, you will need adequate lighting. For road rides, a good headlight at least 500 lumens is recommended. If the ride involves mountain bike trails or remote gravel roads, you will need both a helmet light and handlebar light. A minimum of 2000 lumens combined is recommended for off-road cycling. 3000 - 4000 is optimal for single track. Your local bike shop will be able to recommend a suitable setup.
- A flashing tail light is compulsory if we are riding on public roads.
- Mosquitoes. Spring through to Autumn, mozzies can be thick in the bush at night. Apply insect repellent before setting off or they will find you when we pull up for a break.
Video - Past Social Rides
I've just rebuilt this site in September 2023 and I took the opportunity to move a lot of the old video content onto the Cycle CQ YouTube channel rather than duplicating it here on the site. I also make a lot of videos on other club's social rides and races which you can find there is well.
Click for more Cycle CQ articles.
Have a brilliant day,